By Sandra Perez, a Senior Event Producer at Bill Hansen Catering & Event Production.
If you’re a pet lover like me, you have definitely dabbled with the idea of how to incorporate your furry friend(s) into your big day. I know I’m not the only one who considers their pets to be like children! When I got married, we included our beloved Dachshund, Jameson, into our engagement photos, so I wanted to share some adorable ways in which you can include your furball too!
1. Include your pet in your proposal. Tie the engagement ring around their collar or train them to deliver the ring in a box to the bride-to-be. You just can’t go wrong with a pup-posal!
PHOTO & SIGN BY BARKLEY & WAGZ
2. Save The Date. I’m a sucker for a great Save-The-Date card, especially when a pet is included. Custom design your own sign or a bandana that reads “My Humans Are Getting Married” for your furry friend. Not feeling crafty? There are SO many fun options on Etsy you can look into here.
PHOTO & SIGN BY CRAFTY WITCHES DECOR
3. Let them star in your engagement pictures. Having your pet in the forefront of photos is a great idea and it shows they’re a big part of your family! Guaranteed cuteness-points as well!
PHOTO BY SHAJAY PHOTOGRAPHY
4. Have your pet attend your wedding! But first things first, be sure to ask if your ceremony space and reception venue accommodates pets. Also, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does my pet freak out in a new environment?
- What about around large groups of people?
- Which one of my guests will take care of my pet throughout the day?
- Do any of my guests have pet allergies?
- Will my pet eat the floral arrangements that are cascading off the tables? (I’m just sayin’)
If you answered “no” to most of those questions, you can include your pet in your wedding day as ring bearer, escort your flower girl down the aisle, they can be a sign holder, or even carry your pet down the aisle instead of a bouquet.
PHOTO BY MASSON LIANG PHOTO
5. If your pet can’t be there on your big day, pay homage to your furry friend with pet-themed wedding decor. Include them in your stationary. Name your signature drink after them. Incorporate them into your wedding cake. Don’t forget about customizing your cocktail napkins. The possibilities to enhance your wedding’s details with the love for your pet are endless, so let your imagination run wild!
PHOTO BY MISS DESIGN BERRY
6. Do. Not. Forget. The. Outfit! From a custom-made tuxedo to a charming little bow tie, a dog-dress to match your bridesmaids or a floral wreath around your pet, they will surely be a stand out on the happiest day of your life!
PHOTO BY WE ARE THE MITCHELLS
Here’s to our furry friends that are keeping us smiling these days! 🙂
Sandra Perez was born and raised in Miami where she attended Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts and the FIU Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management. During her time at FIU, she pursued Event Planning as well as Catering Management, which led her to Bill Hansen in 2012.
Feature and top photo by Brandi Toole Photography