I remember getting engaged last year and thinking,
“Wow. There’s so much to do! Where do I even begin?”
As an Event Coordinator for Bill Hansen Catering and Event Production, I know this feeling is all too common for newly engaged couples. Well, I’m excited to say I have officially survived the wedding planning process and am happily married! So, here are my tips to get you started:
1. Sit back, relax and enjoy the moment
- Soak it all in because before you know it, the planning-whirlwind begins. Hang on to that adrenaline rush, that electricity in the air, that “OH MY GOODNESS” feeling after hearing those four words. Celebrate this exciting time with family and friends, tell everyone about your proposal story (you’ll be repeating this part a lot), and get those engagement photos done. Take this time to just be happy together.
2. Get inspired
- This is the fun part! Let social media do the work for you and create a Pinterest account, research wedding blogs, see what your local vendors are up to on Instagram. Also, don’t be shy and reach out to that friend who just got married with any questions you may have.
3. Talk to your fiancé
- When you think you’re done savoring the moment, make sure you and your partner are on the same page. Begin thinking of your wedding timeline and decide when you’d like to get married. Even if you do not have an exact date, it’s wise to at least choose a month you both prefer to work around. Decide what your budget is. (Heads up: the average Miami wedding cost is $25,000-$30,000) Determine what is important to each of you when that big day comes. For example, I really wanted a photo booth and a dessert table and my husband really wanted an amazing DJ and spacious dance floor. Decisions, decisions!
4. Research wedding venues
- Don’t overwhelm yourself and visit 10 venues! Do your research and see which ones fit your style, theme and budget. Next, make appointments to see them in person and get more information. Start with 3 and then go from there. Keep in mind venues sometimes get booked 1-2 years in advance so your preferred date may not be available. Decide if this is a deal breaker now before even looking at places. Our new website www.billhansenmiamivenues.com is a great tool for couples on the hunt for South Florida wedding venues.
5. Pick a caterer
- Definitely look up reviews online and check out their Instagram. Make sure you have a budget in mind and then reach out to 1-3 caterers. Review their packages and see what they have to offer. Keep in mind, all the packages may look the same but guaranteed quality and extras differ. Some caterers may even offer their tasting with a fee. Tackle this major to-do as soon as you can because, like venues, the best caterers are often booked well in advance!
The Couple: Genevieve and Eric Medina
Venue: Villa Woodbine
Photographer: Vicky Marcano of The Captivating Collective
Makeup & Hair: Dailyn Brito